Said bin Ibrahim

(1923 – 22/12/2002)
79 years of age

Haji Said bin Haji Ibrahim was born in 1923 at Kampung Kedai Lalat, Kelantang, Malaysia. His parents were from Jambi, Indonesia. When they returned to Jambi, Haji Said enrolled at the Pasentren Jambi Seberang before he travelled to Mecca and studied there for 10 years at the feet of scholars at Masjidil Haram.

Upon his return to Kelantan, he began teaching at pondok (several religious schools), notably at Pondok Tuk Kenali where he met Tuk Guru Haji Abbas, also known as Tuk Jering. Before the migrated, he took up the position as Headmaster of a pondok at Pasir Mas.

In 1954, he decided to relocate to Singapore. While waiting for a job offer in Singapore, he worked as a tailor at Kuala Lipis.

In Singapore, he was known as Kiyai Haji Shuib. He taught at Madrasah al-Hidayah until 1956. He was also the religious officer for the British Army. From 1962-1968, he was appointed as the President of Persatuan Guru-guru Agama Singapura (PERGAS). He also taught the local religious teachers, and was the teacher for Kiai Kassim, Haji Munawir, Kiai Juman. He was well-known for being firm in his views and fearless when giving opinions. Such was his character that when he decided to fight agains the Qadiani, a deviant sect, a bullet was posted to him as a warning. But he brushed it aside.

He was also well known for being very well verse in the four schools of Islamic jurisprudence.

Not contented to confine his da’wah to a certain locality, he decided to take up a teaching position at Sekolah Menengah Arab in Brunei. He was also involved in developing the syllabus for Maktab Perguruan Agama Brunei. After three years in Brunei, he moved to Sabah, Malaysia, where he was appointed as Religious Officer. In Sabah, he worked closed with the Pertubuhan Islam Seluruh Sabah (USIA).

After about a year in Sabah, he was appointed as the Imam for the Masjid Negara at Kuala Lumpur. In 1975, he decided to perform his haj, but was not given leave due to administrative reasons. Being one who was very firm in his views, he decided the call of Allah is greater and hence resigned from the post of Imam.

Upon his return from haj, Sabah beckoned him again. The offer was higher- the position of Mufti for Sabah. So for three years, until 1978, he took that position and worked under the administration of Datuk Harris Salleh who was the Chief Minister of Sabah.

After that, he went back to Kuala Lumpur and worked at the Jabatan Agama Islam Wilayah Persekutuan (JAWI) as an expert in syariah laws.

In 1985, Sabah beckoned him again. He returned to that state as Mufti for the second time under the administration of Datuk Pairin Kitingan, until 1989.

In 1991, he was awarded with the Tokoh Maal Hijrah Wilayah Persekutuan medal. He also received the honorary doctorate from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.

He wrote many books which were published many time.

He passed away on 22 December 2002 and was buried at Taman Ibu Kota cemetery, Kuala Lumpur. He left behind a wife, Nik Yah bte Raja Deraman, and eight children.

May Allah bless his soul.

(Source: Sabri Said, Hj Said’s son; Roosfa Hashim)


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply