(31/3/1934 – 25/1/2005)
70 years of age
Ustaz Abu Bakar was born on Saturday, 31 March 1934 / 15 Zulhijjah 1352, in Singapore. He received his early education in Madrasah Aljunied Al-Islamiah, and was among the first batch from that madrasah to continue their studies at Al-Azhar University. He pursued his post-graduate studies at the same university and graduated with a Master in Islamic Law.
Back in Singapore, he was appointed as Registrar at the Registry of Muslim Marriages. In 1984, he was appointed as President of the Muslim Syariah Court for a period of ten years. He was then appointed as a council member for the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore from 1995 to 2001. Ustaz Abu Bakar was also a member of the Fatwa Committee until 2004 and was an expert in resolving intricate Islamic Law of Inheritance problems which involved Singapore’s laws.
One of his lasting contributions was setting up the Marriage Preparatory Course, and making it compulsory for all Singaporean Muslims who intended to get married. In 1994, he was awarded Muis’ Anugerah Jasa Cemerlang for his contributions to Muslims in Singapore.
Ustaz Abu Bakar died on Monday, 25 January 2005 / 14 Zulhijjah 1425, one day shy of his 73rd Hijric birthday. He left behind six children.
May Allah bless his soul.
(Source: Berita Harian; Pergas; Webmaster)
- November 17, 2013 @ 13:32:36 [Current Revision] by Webmaster
- November 17, 2013 @ 13:32:36 by Webmaster
- March 29, 2013 @ 09:19:06 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 12:54:51 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 12:12:31 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 10:22:30 [Autosave] by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 10:21:23 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 10:19:22 by Webmaster