(2 January 1925 – 9 June 2008)
83 years of age
Although Ustaz Arsyad was born in Singapore, his parents sent him to Bawean Island to grew up and received his early education there. Among his teachers was Kiyahi Hasyim Ilyas at Pakalongan Bawean.
At the age of 10, he was brought to see his father’s side at Kediri, East Java. They were quite well off and sent him to Pasanteren Tebuireng, Jombang, East Java to study for several years under the tutelage of Kiyahi Hasyim Asy’ari, the founder of Nahdhatul Ulama.
After he completed his studies, he returned back to Singapore. That was in the 1940s. He found a job as a driver as he continued his activity of learning and teaching.
Among his teachers in Singapore were:
- Kiyahi Zohri Mutammim. He studied from him the book Kifayatul Akhyar and others.
- Kiyahi Abu Bakar Asyik at Tank Road. Kiyahi Abu Bakar told him to take over his place when he was not around.
- Haji Sanusi bin Mahmood, the first Mufti of Singapore
Among his teachers was Kiyahi Uthman Al-Ishaqi from Surabaya, East Java.
His contemporaries were:
- Ustaz Hussein Unang, who was with him at Kiyahi Abu Bakar Asyik’s class.
- Kiyahi Muhammad Hasan Asyari, who studied together with him from Kiyahi Zohri Mutammim & Haji Sanusi bin Mahmood.
Haji Sanusi bin Mahmood once suggested that he took the position as Vice Kadi, but Ustaz Arsyad declined due to personal reasons.
He was a very active da’wah worker. He taught at:
- Queenstown Police Quarters at Jalan Penjara for Queenstown Prison’s officers’ children
- Changi Prison, teaching the prison officers
- Selarang Park Rehabilation Centre, teaching the inmates there
- Masjid Hang Jebat during weekends
- Surau Ghim Moh
- Private houses
He taught Arabic and Jawi book such as Siyar As-Salikin, Hidayah As-Salikin, Tafsir and others.
During his later years, he brought groups for haj and umrah every year.
He also wrote the book Kelas Bimbingan Agama Nurul Irsyad.
On 9 June 2008, he passed away at the age of 83.
May Allah bless his soul.
(Source: Ahmad Shamsuddin bin Ahmad)
- November 17, 2013 @ 13:36:25 [Current Revision] by Webmaster
- November 17, 2013 @ 13:36:25 by Webmaster
- March 29, 2013 @ 09:18:34 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 19:45:56 [Autosave] by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 19:45:54 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 12:53:22 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 12:10:52 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 12:05:39 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 12:04:32 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 11:39:17 by Webmaster
- February 12, 2012 @ 11:37:35 by Webmaster